Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sustainability Visit


What is your name?
"Andrea."

What is your role here at the farmers market?
"I'm that Manager of this farmers market. And I also sell my foods at this stand."

How long have you been coming to Farmers Markets?
"Well ,my family owns a farm, and the first time I was able to help out at my fathers Farmers market I think that I was around 15. I still farm at my family's farm today, that's were all my food comes from. And I started this farmers market about two years ago."

Do you feel that you help not only the enviorment, but also help people become healthy?
"In a way I do feel that I help people make healthy choices when they by my food, and I feel good that I can do something to help the enviorment."

Questions:
1. What struck you about the location you visited? Was it what you expected, or very different?
Well the Farmers market that I visited was in the parking lot of an abandoned school, so I thought that it was a little creepy. But after we walked around a bit it really reminded me of a swap meet. The people that were selling the food, mostly sold fruit and i thought that they would be selling all veggies. And they also sold stuff like jewelry, art supplies, and blankets.

2. Which items were cheaper than you expected? Which were more expensive?
The oranges were really cheep, that surprised my little brother. And the cherry's were the most expensive item at three different stands, but I still bought some.

3. Do you think you will start going to a farmers market more often? Or using a community garden? Or supporting a CSA?
I don't think I will start going to a farmer's market that often, but I will keep it in mind.

4. How do these locations fit into our essential questions of "Why Don't People Live More Sustainably?" and "How Can I Convince them to do So?"
Well people wont try to live more sustainably because they can't afford to buy expensive food. Organic food is kind of expensive, but it is important to eat healthy. We can convince them to do so by giving them information on how it can help them become health, and how it can help your family to become healthy.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said you don't think you will start going to a farmer's market that often, but you will keep it in mind. I agree with that. I think the same way, its a good idea but I don't think my mom will want to pay for expansive fruit. :/
    What made me think was that your right its more healthier but its to expensive than just buying your fruits in a grocery store, but tastes much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I really liked reading over your sustainably visit because you asked really good questions and you interview the manager of the farmers market which I think it's great because I am sure she gave you a lot of info about the food that they sold there.The thing that made me think was how the Farmers market that you visited was in the parking lot of an abandoned school, I also agree with you being a little creepy. I think you did great on making connections and being honest about your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya Ben! I thought it was really cool how you quoted them, instead of just summing up what they said from possible notes. It was an easy format to understand.

    I thought it was interesting how you said that people won't buy organic foods because the stuff from the store is just cheaper. The stuff from the store is cheaper. This struck me because it's quite true. Our taker society is built off of money and materialistic items, so we can only get the food that we can afford from our governments, which are in turned controlled by people just like us.

    Is the Farmers Market that you visited near your old house? If so, can you tell me where so I can visit it? :\

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ben, I really liked the way that you should detail in your description int the end. I really liked your questions and i thought that they really related to what you had to do for your interviews. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1- I liked how much detail you put into your work you seemed to ask really good questions, they were very thought out. How long have you been coming to Farmers Markets?” I thought of how many people asked that question but you really put down really fat responses.
    2- When you asked the farmer the question and I quote “
    3- Is it easier to ask female farmers because it is really interesting because a lot of men interviewed women, so how do you choose who you want to interview?

    ReplyDelete